Saturday, November 13, 2010

Thoughts needed on A Stitch in Time, Volume 2

Hello everyone,

As you know, Susan is working hard on producing A Stitch in Time Volume Two, but she needs a bit of input from you, the reading and knitting public, so please do chip in and tell her what you think in the comments.

Hi Everyone,

I wonder if you could help me make a decision with Stitch in Time 2. I currently have too many projects than are allowed for the number of pages for the book (already bigger than SIT 1) and am having to make some big decisions.

The main issue I have is with the number of crochet patterns. It keeps resulting in either:

1) Too many crochet to knitting patterns for knitters to be happy.

2) Not enough crochet patterns to justify it being classed as a knitting and ‘crochet’ book.

My gut instinct is to suggest something completely different which is this -

Remove the crochet patterns from Volume 2 giving me the right project and page count and put together a separate volume of the crochet patterns, which also gives me the room to add some beauties which I just can’t include in the main volume. This book would obviously be available as a separate purchase but we are looking to have it ready at more or less the same time as Volume 2 and include a special offer price for buying both together. (It would be a smaller volume so also cheaper).

I feel this then gives crochet the respect it deserves rather than as a foot note to the knitting patterns, and gives all purchasers knitters and crocheters exactly what they expect from whichever book they purchase.

I would be really grateful if you could all give me feedback on this by either agreeing or disagreeing (in the comments). If you disagree or have any additional ideas could you also comment.

The decision will have to be made in about the next seven days so do let me know how you feel as soon as possible.

for now
Susan xx



Thanks for your help, chaps

Ingrid x


PS We shall have a proper catch up post soon, and if you don't have one yet (you don't... I'm shocked!) and would like to buy a copy of A Stitch in Time Volume One, click here!


Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Amy said...

Sounds like a very sensible solution to me!

11:27 am  
Blogger Mim said...

I think separate volumes sound good - some knitters do get quite vocal on the subject of crochet patterns in knitting publications. Plus this way we get two books!

2:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Separating the two out sounds like a good idea to me too.

2:38 pm  
Blogger Carolina said...

I agree...knitting and crochet patterns should be kept seperate.

2:39 pm  
Anonymous Deborah Robson said...

Separate crochet. I love crochet, as well as knitting. But I like to browse knitting-predominant patterns separately from crochet-dominant patterns.

3:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a knitter who only crochets as a finishing technique for knitting projects, two volumes would be my preference. I'd probably still buy both, and give the crochet one to my sister-in-law, who crochets to the exclusion of knitting! ...
from GKGreen (Ravelry userid)

3:06 pm  
Blogger klgrant1971 said...

An excellent idea. Love the idea of two books!

3:24 pm  
Blogger Eithne said...

I also think it would be better to have to separate books. No point doing a half hearted job with the crochet patterns.Eithne

3:50 pm  
Blogger Anushka said...

Sounds like a great idea to me, I don't think that people these days have the same level and breadth of interchangeable skills in terms of making clothes for themselves so it makes sense to keep them separate, so people can buy a book related to the craft they know.

12:04 am  
Blogger Wendy Bayford said...

If by doing two books it means that there will more space for more patterns then its a win win situation! I am not great at crochet, but I know I would buy crochet one as it would give me the insentive to get better and because its by Susan!!

9:34 am  
Blogger flossieKNITS said...

separate books! It just makes more sense. And then I get to buy two books instead of one, which means more patterns. sounds win-win to me.

2:28 am  
Blogger WaspishQueenB said...

Separate volumes, please. You can thus satisfy readers who may not be skilled in both disciplines and also cover a range of expertise (from beginner projects to more complex designs). I usually get annoyed by the simplicity of designs in volumes that try to cover too much ground (and I usually get bored and end up with the dreaded UFO). Some of the crochet terminology/abbreviations (especially lack of adequate descriptions) in my vintage patterns has caused me no end of bother, so perhaps it may help others to include a "How to...." section. Do we get a small loyalty discount for purchasing both?! Otherwise, keep up the good work!

1:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home